The General English course covers the six standard English levels, from Low Beginner to High Advanced as well as two extensive vocabulary courses.
The Low Beginner level is suitable for beginner learners and includes extra support for everything from handwriting to pronunciation.
The higher three levels follow a skills-based approach.
Language learning moves from vocabulary and task-based approaches that focus on fluency development to one more clearly focused on
accuracy and complexity.
General English Outline
- Low Beginner General English
- High Beginner General English
- Low Intermediate General English
- High Intermediate General English
- Low Advanced General English
- High Advanced General English
- 1000 Word List
- 2000 Word List
This course will help students improve their English skills within a specific profession.
Students will be given access to a variety of English vocabulary used for specific professions like Hospitality, Bar Service, Business, Information Technology, Health, and Nursing.
This is to assist students to develop their English skills in their chosen profession. This may assist students to apply for a promotion or apply for a better paying job.
English for Specific Purposes
- English for Business
- English for IT
- English for Health
- English for Nursing
- Nursing Picture Dictionary
- English for Hospitality
- Bar Service
IELTS is the only test accepted by Immigration Canada and the preferred test for many postsecondary institutions across Canada.
The Vital English IELTS Test Preparation course is a comprehensive online preparation course. Students will be given the opportunity to learn test strategies, practice IELTS test-type questions, develop required vocabulary and over 500 hours of interactive exercises. Students are given access to the General or Academic IELTS Test Preparation courses and the Academic Vocabulary course.
IELTS Test Preparation Subject Areas
- IELTS General
- IELTS Academic
- Academic Vocabulary
All students go through the following process -
- Assessment: Students will do a Placement Test to determine their current English level and place them in the appropriate product.
- Enrollment: Students will be enrolled in one of three products for a period of 3 months
- 12-weeks study: Students do asynchronous studies from an AOL campus or home
- Week 4 Progress Test 1: Students do a progress test which is recorded in the Learning Management System
- Week 8 Progress Test 2: Students do a progress test which is recorded in the Learning Management System
- Exit Assessment: Students do a final Exit Assessment to measure their progress over the 12-weeks study period
- Issue Certificate of Study: Every student is issued with an AOL Certificate of Study, including study progress
The Vital English courses are designed using the communicative approach and utilizing task-based exercises.
The learning style allows for asynchronous learning where students follow a pre-determined curriculum.
However, the system also allows for a high degree of individualized learning. This enables students to focus on specific skills as well as repeat
exercises until satisfactory learning outcomes have been reached.
A number of different interactions have been used in the instructional design of the courses. This has resulted in highly engaging learning
materials while maximizing learning outcomes. Students are encouraged to record their study progress on paper-based Study Plans, provided by Academy of Learning. The courses are delivered fully online, through the browser, with no need to download software to individual computers, giving students access to the courses 24/7.
All Vital English courses are applied to real life situations and cover the four skills - reading, writing, listening and speaking - as well as
theory, spelling, grammar and vocabulary. Vital English has drawn upon the academic expertise of internationally recognized English language
training consultants which has contributed to the high quality of our courseware. These experts include Professor Rod Ellis from the University
of Auckland and Professor Zhang Lianzhong from China.
English Succes actively promotes comprehensive language awareness by ensuring that the courses contain the following elements:
Vital English follows the 10 principles for developing language courses recommended by Professor Rod Ellis:
- All four language skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Language knowledge (explicit vocabulary, grammar, topics)
- Attitudes to learning (motivation, self-confidence, international view)
- Learning strategies (improve effectiveness of student’s learning)
- Cultural awareness (cross-cultural communication)
- Ensure learners develop rich repertoire of formulaic expressions & rule based competence
- Focus predominantly on meaning
- Also focus on form
- Developing implicit knowledge without neglecting explicit knowledge
- Take into account learner’s ‘built-in-syllabus’
- Requires extensive L2 input
- Also requires opportunities for output
- Interaction in the L2 as a means to develop proficiency
- Takes into account individual learning styles
- Assess free as well as controlled production
The results of two learning outcome studies carried out in 2010.
The first was conducted among Academy of Learning students at four locations throughout Canada. This study shows an average increase of two CLB levels over a six week period.
The next study which was conducted over a 3-month period among a wide range of international students.
It showed that 56% of students increased 1 CEFR level, or approximately 2-3 CLB levels
All Courses are evaluated against internationally accepted CLB standards:
Courses are available at all 12 CLB levels. Students are enrolled in one of three programs, depending on their Entry Assessment
result and desired learning outcomes.
If a student is interested in preparing for the IELTS test or study English for Health, they need a CLB 6 or above.
If a student
scored below this, they are encouraged to enroll in English Success! General initially, until they have reached the required level.
Once enrolled into a program, the student has full access to all courses. E.g. in ESP, a student aiming to work in the healthcare sector
can study English for Nursing, Health and Nursing Picture Dictionary.
- This could change your life! Stong English skills are essential for professional success in Canada. The stronger our English skills,
the better your opportunities for employment and the more money you can earn. English Succes! is a fast way to a better life!
- Acelerate your learning!
You can learn much faster because you are not held back by the pace of a tradional classroom learning environment.
- Proven learning outcomes!
We are so confident that you will improve 1 level in 90 days that if you do not, you will get another 30 days for FREE!
- Learn Anywhere!
English Success! is studied fully online. You can study anywhere you like - at an Academy of Learning Campus, from home, the library - you choose.
- Measure progress!
Through regular progress assessments, you will see exactly how much you have learned.
- Learn at you own pace
Learn at your own pace within committed guidelines. there's no need to keep pace with other students.
- Individualized learning!
Instead of following a classroom cirriculum, you can focus on exactly what you need to learn. We teach all four skills of reading,
writing, speaking and listening - as well as grammar and vocabulary.
- Start Immediately!
You don't have to wait until the beginning of a semester. Start right away and begin learning immediately!
- Never Miss a Class!
Our flexible scheduling allows for life. Should you miss a day or a few hours, you can thake the same lesson when you are able
all without penaly or loss of information
- Wide choice of Subjects!
Whether you want to learn General English, English for business, English for IT, English for Hospitality, English for Health or
prpare for you IELTS test, we have the right course for you.